Tuesday, May 24, 2011

green garlic risotto



I was very excited to find green garlic at my local Farmer's Market this past weekend. You may have guessed that I am a big fan of garlic... and I have the tattoo to prove it! I had heard of green garlic, but this was my first time trying it. I wanted to do something simple that would let it be the shining star. At first I thought a simple pasta, but then I realized I don't make risotto nearly enough, and I had some good homemade chicken/smoked turkey stock in the fridge begging for a good use.



The Risotto turned out well. You always hear how hard it is to make risotto... well it's not. It does require attention, but there is nothing at a ll difficult about it, and it really doesn't take very long. The result was creamy, fresh tasting (thanks to the green garlic), slightly smoky (from the stock) and nutty. A perfect little weeknight dinner (had some fresh farmers market radishes sprinkled with salt on the side... springy!)




Green Garlic Risotto

-1 Tablespoon butter
-1/2 tablespoon olive oil
-1 shallot, chopped fine
-1 cup Aborio rice
-3-4 cups chicken stock
-1/4 teaspoon dried basil
-3 stalks green garlic. chopped, green stems and all (not the woody parts or leaves, though.)
-1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
-1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
-zest and juice from 1/2 a large lemon
-salt and pepper
-olive oil to serve

Melt butter and oil together in pan, add shallot and cook until soft. Add the rice and cook for about 2-3 minutes, careful not to burn the rice. Add one cup of stock. Stir until the liquid is fully absorbed. Add another cup of stock and continue stirring (you can take small breaks, but the more you stir the creamier the risotto will turn out). Add the garlic with this round of liquid/stirring. Keep adding liquid a cup at a time until the rice is cooked to al dente. Turn off heat and add the pine nuts, cheese, lemon zest and juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm with a bit of olive oil drizzled over the top.



No comments: