Wednesday, November 10, 2010

roasted green tomato tart



What to do with a big bag of end-of-season green tomatoes? This was my dilemma. After them sitting on the counter for almost a week, with no free time to attempt canning them, I panicked and roasted most of them off in the oven. I cut them up into even sizes, rubbed them with olive oil, salt & pepper, and roasted them at 425ºF for about an hour, stirring a couple times, until they were pretty much obliterated into a sticky, thick sauce. I stuck them in the fridge and a couple nights later decided to attempt a simple tart with them. The roasting made the tart tomatoes significantly sweeter, but they still retained some sourness. I went with ricotta for the filling of the tart, the tomatoes as a topping, almost. Why ricotta? I guess I was inspired by lasagna. Anyway, it worked out well. I wish I could describe the taste of roasted green tomatoes better... it's a really unique flavor.


Roasted Green Tomato Ricotta Tart

-1 pie crust
-15 oz. whole milk ricotta
-2 garlic cloves, grated
-1 large egg
-a few chives, chopped fine
-1 1/2 cups roasted green tomatoes
-pine nuts
-Parmesan cheese
-salt and pepper

Line the bottom of a spring form pan with the pie crust, going up around the edges about 1 inch. Mix the ricotta, garlic, egg, chives, salt and pepper together and spread it over the pie crust. Spread the green tomato over the cheese mixture. Bake in a preheated 425ºF oven for about 45 minutes, sprinkling the top with pine nuts and Parmesan after about 30 minutes. Let set about 15 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

nursing scrubs said...

When it comes to cooking, I’m having second thoughts, it’s just that I am not so good at it; I really don’t have the magic to make such tasty food. Good for you :)

YourBrainMedia said...

This is some kinda new. I could try it on my vegan lifestyle too. Thank you for this!