Wednesday, March 21, 2012

tuna bahn mi



I'm not even sure this qualifies as a recipe or deserves a blog post. Doctored up canned tuna on a sandwich? But maybe you've never had canned tuna like this... it is my favorite way to flavor the cheap pantry staple. All the ingredients I use are stuff I always have in my fridge and cabinets.

I lived off canned tuna and rice in college, mostly because I had no money. But it was a healthier and more delicious alternative to cheap ramen packets. Did I mention how skinny I was in college? Sheesh.

You can use this tuna in a variety of ways... eat on rice with shredded raw cabbage and vegetables, on crackers... in this case I made a sandwich, bahn mi-style. It was perfect for a spring day... fresh, light, slightly spicy.



Steph's Spicy Asian Tuna
(Note: everything here is to taste... this is more of an idea than a recipe... I have never actually measured ingredients when making this, but this recipe will get you close.)

-2 cans tuna in water
-2 Tablespoons soy sauce
-1 Tablespoon Sriracha sauce
-1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
-1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
-pinch of red chile flakes
-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/4 teaspoon cumin
-1/4 teaspoon granulated ginger
-1/4 teaspoon coriander
-2 Teaspoons olive oil or vegetable oil

Mix everything together. Let chill together for at least 15 minutes to let all the flavors settle, mingle, and harmonize. Serve on rice with raw vegetables, on crackers or, as I did here, on a sandwich. This "bahn mi" had tuna, cucumbers, carrots and sprouts on flaky french bread, with a smear of mayonnaise mixed with sriracha sauce. You should also put cilantro on it...





Do you have a favorite way of using canned tuna? Or a favorite "pantry supper?" Leave a comment and tell me about it! :)

Related posts from the archives:
Pork Sung-wich
Fettuccine with tuna and capers
Sushi Ceviche
Slut's Spaghetti
Tater Tot Tacos
Cashew Chicken Balls

No comments: