Wednesday, July 21, 2010

pork tacos with green tomato salsa


I picked up some goodies at my local farmer's market over the weekend. I had no plans for what to get when I went, so it was sort of random. An ugly heirloom tomato (which I ate by itself with salt and pepper.... one of the absolute joys of summer), a green tomato, and orange tomato and a head of cabbage. I also had 2 more Cayenne peppers from my little garden. Hmmmm. When it doubt, make salsa, right? Right. That's what happened with the tomatoes and pepper. What about the cabbage? I had salsa, I had tortillas... I love cabbage on fish tacos. Boom fish tacos. Too bad I didn't have fish in the freezer like I thought. I did have some pork chops though. Pork tacos. It was fate.


Green Tomato Salsa

-1 large green tomato, diced
-1 medium orange tomato, diced
-1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
-2 cayenne peppers, minced
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-handful of thinly sliced green onion
-1 Tablespoon agave nectar
-Juice of 1 lemon
-1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
-salt & pepper

-combine all ingredients. Store in fridge.


Pork tacos

-3 boneless pork chops, sliced thin
-1 teaspoon cumin
-1/2 teaspoon coriander
-1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
-1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, ground between your palms
-1 Tablespoon Tapatio hot sauce
-2 Tablespoons tequila
-1 Tablespoon olive oil
-salt and pepper

Marinate the pork slices in the rest of the ingredients for at least 20 minutes. Heat a bit of oil in a skillet, add the pork, marinade and all to the skillet, and cook until the pork is no longer pink. Add a splash of water to the skillet, turn down the heat, and let the pork simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve on toasted flour tortillas with shredded raw cabbage and green tomato salsa.

3 comments:

cheese recipe said...

well made good combo. an typical Indian dish. Please try out its quite yummy.

Cheese Cube said...

Sounds like really energetic food. with all fresh veggi and yummy stuff.

KetzerMusic said...

That fact that you used Tapatio makes this a major win in my book.