Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Rainbow Trout stuffed with fennel


I love rainbow trout, so I was pleased as punch to find it on sale and WHOLE! So I got one. I stuffed him with some fennel stalks & fronds, lemon slices, garlic chunks and slices of yellow onion. I rubbed him with olive oil, salt & pepper, wrapped him loosely in foil, and cooked him in the oven at 325ºF for about 20 minutes, opening up the foil tent and adding some butter for the last 5 minutes of cooking. An easy weeknight dinner that looks and tastes kinds fancy!


As for the rest of the fennel, slice up the bulb, along with the rest of the onion, and stir fry it with some finely chopped garlic and olive oil. When it gets kind of soft, add one zucchini and one yellow squash, both sliced into bite-sized pieces, and cook until all the vegetables are just soft, adding salt, pepper, chopped fennel fronds and red pepper flakes as you go. This side dish goes great with the fish.


The cooking method for the fish keeps it super-succulent. You can eat the skin if you want (I love me some fish skin!), but the fish flakes right off of it if you're not into that sort of thing (prude).

2 comments:

Kelly @ Barbaric Gulp! said...

Yum. I'm not a big fan of fennel, but that sounds delish!

Sara McCarty said...

This looks amazing! I'm always looking for new ways to use fennel. And I love cooking whole trout! Thanks for the recipe.