Monday, February 15, 2010

Tempeh Broccoli Stir-Fry


I've explained this many times, but I will keep saying it... I love meat, and I love tofu. I don't like when people try to make tofu a substitute for meat. I think that's why poor tofu has a bad rep! The other day I decided to try tofu's cousin, tempeh. Tempeh is made from soy beans too, but unlike tofu, they are left whole, making a more textured, denser product. It also has a more pronounced flavor...kinda nutty and bitter?

I used mine in a stir-fry with broccoli and cashews. I was worried about the bitterness of the tempeh, but this turned out really good! I am a fan, now. I like the texture and nuttiness of the tempeh, especially in a stir fry.



Tempeh Broccoli Stir-Fry

-1 8 oz. pkg. tempeh, sliced into about .25-inch slices, then cut in half to make bite-sized pieces.
-about 4 Tablespoons oil
-about 5-6 Tablespoons soy sauce
-about 4 Tablespoons sugar
-3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
-2 inch piece of fresh lemongrass, chopped fine
-1 large shallot, chopped fine
-1 teaspoon red chili flakes
-1 medium onion, sliced into half moons
-1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
-2 teaspoons sesame oil
-1 cup cashews

1. Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a wok. When hot, add tempeh slices and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring gently until there are some nice brown spots on them. Add a couple Tablespoons of soy sauce and cook another minute or so. Set aside on a plate.

2. Add rest of oil to wok, cook garlic, lemongrass and shallot until translucent and beginning to brown. add a Tablespoon of soy sauce and the sesame oil and chili flakes. cook for about 30 seconds, then add the broccoli and onion. Stir/toss often. When the Broccoli starts to turn bright green and the onions start to soften, add a few more Tablespoons of soy sauce and the sugar. Cook, stirring often, until onions are very soft. Add tempeh back in along with cashews. Cook until everything is heated through. Serve over rice with Sriracha hot sauce.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Tofu (and tempeh, seitan, etc) all get a rotten rep because people expect them to be meat replacements. If they'd just get that out of their heads, I think people would really enjoy them more.

soyfood said...

A real good flavor in the tempeh can be had by making it yourself with dry roasted unsalted soy bean halves. See:www.maketempeh.org

steph said...

You can remove some/all of the bitterness of the tempeh by steaming it first - just 15 mins or so. I ate tempeh for years before i learned this trick!