Sunday, June 08, 2008

fig pistachio goat cheese spread


On most Wednesday evenings during the summer, you can find me at the Missouri Botanical Gardens enjoying the scenery and the music at their Whitaker Music Festival. I've been going to these free weekly concerts for a few years. It's such a fantastic opportunity to enjoy the beautiful botanical gardens, hang out with friends and relax. While they have some beverages available for purchase, you are encouraged to bring your own food and drink. This past Wednesday was the first of the season, featuring Erin Bode, a popular jazz singer.

I had a small log of goat cheese in the fridge, and I knew I wanted to make some sort of spread with it. I racked my brain for possible goat cheese partners, until I remembered my fig and goat cheese pizza. FIGS! YES! I soaked some fried figs in port for a couple of hours, then rinsed them and chopped them up. I also wanted some sort of salty element to compliment the sweet figs and tangy goat cheese. I had some pistachio nut meats (does the term nut meats make anyone else giggle? I know, I know...I'm 12) in the freezer, so I toasted them and chopped them up and salted them lightly. Then I simply spread the goat cheese on the bottom of a small Pyrex container, and sprinkled the figs and nut meats (heh heh...) on top! So easy. And it was a hit! It will be a regular part of my party/picnic food repertoire.



NEW BLOG ALERT!! My friend Scott has just started a food blog, butterscott. Go drool over his paella and tell him hello!

8 comments:

Liliana said...

This sounds absolutely heavenly!

I love figs, pistachios and goat cheese and definitely I will be making this at my next BBQ as an appetizer.

Great idea! thanks for sharing!

Chef John said...

Great idea! Beautiful.

LisaRene said...

We think alike :) I just made something very similar and posted it on my blog under "Good Neighbors".

How wonderful to picnic with friends and enjoy a concert, sounds like a lovely summer evening.

Stef said...

I love fig with goat cheese! I haven't made it over the garden yet this season. I'll have to go some time and track you down and hope you have some!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

I live so closeby and haven't been to the Garden recently! I'm going to check out the concert schedule now. Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

Let's all go to the Garden! What a great idea for summer fare. I can't wait to try it myself...thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds good! Except the pistachios, which for some reason I have never liked much. I wonder if it would work well with pecans or some other nuts?

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

This looks heavenly paired with some great wine will be a killer appetizer.

Cheers
Cathy
www.wheresmydamnanswer.com